For the first of what will be a series, my debut wishlist item1 is an odd but whimsical one: a leopard-skin pillbox hat. Because I love Bob Dylan.2 And pillbox hats.3 And leopard print.4
This is the one item that I scan for, automatically, perfunctorily, every time I go into a vintage clothing store. I do not want a cheap version. My future leopard-skin pillbox hat should be, or at least appear to be, real fur. Sorry PETA but if I found an iteration that was once-upon-a-time a real, live leopard I’d be thrilled and think of Papa every time I wore it.
I will wear my leopard skin pillbox hat with killer heels, a great pair of jeans, and a simple white tee. I will wear my hat with a sexy LBD, my favorite pair of boots (the burgundy ones with the wooden heels), and that floral brocade jacket. I will get compliments on it every time I wear it. It will be the sort of piece that will make the days I wear it special, as our favorite clothing and accessories can. If I am sad, maybe I will put it on, put on Blonde on Blonde, and feel a bit better, enough to smile.
1. I know that wishlist is not one word but is, in fact, two separate words. No longer, I say! When the people behind the dictionary get wind of this awesomeness I’ll be famous.
2. Blonde on Blonde is my favorite Dylan record, one of my favorite albums of all time. It is amazing, perfect. If you do not already own this album, get thee to the itunes “store” stat.
3. So for the longest time, I never wore hats and didn’t think that I could pull them off. What I’ve come to realize is that I do not look good in utilitarian hats, that is hats with a purpose. But! I can pull off, and now love, any hat that is purely decorative. Result: Boo to beanies and other warm hats, baseball caps, floppy sun hats5 and big ol’ hell yeah to pillbox hats, cloche hats, fascinators, and anything with feathers.
4. For a look at leopard print done to grown-up, luxe, and daring FABULOUSNESS, please see Oscar de la Renta FA2009.
5. Don’t worry, I’ll still put on a hat for needed warmth and I absolutely protect myself from the sun. People, damnit, wear sunscreen, wear a hat. Skin protection is key.6
6. Who knows how to put footnotes in a blog? Smaller font? And yes, I am a technology underachiever.